Phase 1: Awareness
Phase 1 introduces educators and mental health practitioners to adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and how to identify symptoms of trauma.
Phase 1 Objectives:
● Provide a visual of how trauma among Black youth may actually “play out” in real life. **NOTE: Trauma manifests differently in different people at different times.
● Consider factors that may contribute to certain behaviors or attitudes observed in black youth.
● Foster empathy and/or understanding for the responses by Black youth to their experiences via certain behaviors or attitudes.
● Consider factors that may be helpful to support the “whole” student.
● Examine ways that performance can incorporate research and showcase findings in a "fuller context."
● Possibilities for creative innovation in education and professional development.